Yes, it does snow in Houston. However, it is very rare due to the region’s subtropical climate. Winters are usually very mild and summers are hot and humid. This is because Houston is located near the Gulf of Mexico. Whether you are a native or a tourist wanting to experience snow in the area, we got you covered here.
This takes us back to the question: Does it snow in Houston? Well, snowfall in Houston happens very few times in a decade. That means, you cannot witness snowfall every year.
Also, the frequency is very less and light dusting is seen. Want to know what are the chances of having a snow day tomorrow? This snow day calculator will guide you.
What month does it snow in Houston?
Snowfall can be experienced in Houston from December till February. The average temperature in the winter season ranges from 40 to 70 degrees Fahrenheit (4 to 21 degrees Celsius). Keep in mind that there is no guarantee that there will be snowfall in these months.
December is the beginning of the winter period in the city. The city may occasionally experience light showers of snowfall during this time. However, it is not a regular feature of the climate during this month. The average temperature can range from 48.2 degrees Fahrenheit (9 degrees Celsius) to 62.2 degrees Fahrenheit (17 degrees Celsius). The average amount of snowfall in December ranges from 0 to 0.1 inches (0 to 2.5 millimeters). Total 30 percent of all snowfall in Houston has been witnessed in December.
January is the coldest month of the year. However, it is quite mild and pleasant. Snowfall is a rare occurrence and can accumulate up to 0.12 inches (3mm) in 0.4 days. Temperature ranges from 44. 6 degrees Fahrenheit (7 degrees Celsius) to 60.8 degrees Fahrenheit (16 degrees Celsius). A total of 32 percent of all snowfall in Houston has occurred in January.
Temperature rises a little during this time as a transition towards spring is witnessed. Temperature in Houston in February ranges from 48.2 degrees Fahrenheit (9 degrees Celsius) to 64.4 degrees Fahrenheit (18 degrees Celsius). Average amount of snowfall can range from 0 to 0.1 inches (0 to 2.5 millimeters). For all snowfalls that happened in the city, 35 percent were in February.
How cold does it get in Houston?
Want to know: What are winters in Houston like? Houston, Texas has a very mild climate and winters are normally very short lived. There isn’t a frequent snowfall activity and light drizzles may be witnessed at times. Nights are normally chilly but the mornings become pleasant again.
Temperature may not go lower than 40 degrees Fahrenheit under normal circumstances. This is an excellent place to visit in winter months. Other places are normally snow-covered during this time of the year. Make sure you enjoy all of the outdoor activities during your trip!
How many times has it snowed in Houston since 2000?
Has Houston ever snowed? Yes, it did! Since 2000, only 3 to 4 instances of snowfall have happened.
- 2004- A total of 6 to 12 inches of snowfall was recorded in the city on December 24, 2004.
- 2009- It snowed 2 to 5 inches from Edna to Richmond on December 4.
- 2017- It snowed in the city for the first time after eight years in December.
- 2018- It also snowed on November 13th, 2018, making it the earliest snowfall of the year in the city.
- 2021- The Great Texas Freeze from February 11-20.
Since 1881, the city has witnessed snowfall for a total of 94 times. The maximum snowfall in the city was recorded on December 31st, 1960. The Houston snow storm was witnessed on February 11-20, 2021, which is considered as a weather disaster in the state.
Houston Travel Guide: What to do in Houston in winter?
New to the city and don’t know what places to explore in the winter season? Here’s a list of things you can do while in Houston!
- Space Center Houston: NASA’s Johnson Space Center is the best place to visit in the city. Explore the wonders of space exploration and imagine the vastness of the universe.
- Houston Zoo: Whether you are a 15 year old with your mom or an adult, Houston Zoo is not to miss out on at all. See the diverse range of animals and participate in winter-themed activities.
- Sports Events: A number of professional sports teams belong to Houston including Houston Rockets (NBA) and Houston Texans (NFL). Buy tickets for your favorite match and make your day!
- Hermann Park: There’s nothing more peaceful than reading a book sitting alongside nature. Take a boat ride on the lake or visit the Japanese Gardens, plenty of options are available here.
- Buffalo Bayou Park: The best way to have a look at the city is to visit the Buffalo Bayou Park. There are a lot of outdoor activities here and you will surely enjoy your time to the fullest.
You can also use our guides as a school cancel calculator and snow day calculator for college.